Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Memory Lane














I was in the basement earlier tonight looking for some paperwork when I was serendipitously sidetracked by a packet of pictures I hadn't seen in some time. Naturally I put aside my search in favor of this short trip down memory lane. The photographs I found were mostly of Dylan, taken not that long ago, but seems like eons. I find it amazing, funny and somewhat sad to see how much he's changed in the couple years since the pictures were taken.

Amazing because being a first-time parent, I still find it hard to think that this bundle of laughter and poop is my son, our son, who has changed so much since the day in photograph. It's amazing to see how much he's grown living on a diet consisting mostly of warmed 2 percent milk and gummy bears. (Mom, if you're reading this -- yes, we do feed him real food, too ... you know, chocolate chip cookies and apple juice.)

Funny because I can see in Dylan's smile then the same smile today, only now it's tinged with mischievous intent. It's that smile most 2 1/2-year-olds make just before he swing's a pillow wildly at daddy's head or rushes to pounce on his reclining mother.

Sad because even though I see Dylan day after day, it's takes a forgotten photograph to remind me of how much he's grown, how much he's learned so far and how much I wish I could stop time to keep him at this playful age forever.

(sigh)

Now where is that darn piece of paper ...

No comments: