Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My last week on maternity leave

I can't believe that twelve weeks has gone by so fast! I am back to work next week. It will be good to be a (financially) productive member of the family again but I am really sad to be going back so soon and leaving Matthew and Dylan in day care for 9+ hours a day/5 days a week.

I actually started the boys in day care this week to help Joe and I acclimate to the new schedule and dynamics of getting up and out of the door with two kids by 8 am, and also help the boys transition to the new day care. Dylan is doing really well and seems to be enjoying it. He hasn't had any issues with the new teachers, kids or schedule. The only challenge we have had with him is getting him up at 7 am, which really kinda ticks me off because he has wanted to get up by 7 am for the last 3 months and now that we need him to get up early of course he wants to sleep in till 8 am!

Matthew's entry into day care has been a little harder. He is still having a difficult time taking a bottle. They tell me that he cries for at least 15 minutes and gets really angry and frustrated before finally taking a few ounces. Today was an especially bad day for him because on top of not taking a bottle he wouldn't nap either. After we got home I nursed him and he fell straight to sleep. Now he will probably be up all night wanting to nurse around the clock. How am I going to manage this and work full-time?? I know that time will eventually solve everything.

The day care ladies have been patient and have taken the time to talk to me, suggest ideas and come up with a game plan for the next day. We are all under the agreement that I need to make a decision to either pump and feed him breast milk exclusively by bottle or switch to formula exclusively. I am going to do the latter and starting tomorrow they are going to start mixing breast milk with formula until he is tolerating 100% formula. Hopefully, it won't take more than a few weeks to accomplish this. Also, I am going to try a different style of bottle and nipple to see if Matthew prefers something other than Advent nipples. Of course I feel a little guilty for giving up breast feeding so early, especially since I nursed Dylan for 13 months, but something has to give and I really think this will be better for everyone in the long run.

So this is my last week of "freedom" and I took the opportunity of having a little free time sans kids to go to all of my doctors appointments, get my hair colored and cut, brows threaded and other miscellaneous errands. Here are some photos of my doings around town.

Lunch on a -25 degree (with the wind chill) day: Shio Ramen, yummy!


Dylan at the playground.




My friend Nicole gave me some paper whites for Christmas and here they are in bloom, aren't they beautiful? They smell great too. I can't wait to see the first daffodil - a sure sign of the winter thaw and that spring is sooner than later.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Don't fret about stopping the nursing. It's the best decision for your family and if it makes Matt's transition easier at daycare, then it's worth it!